Primary LiaisonCurriculum » Learning Support » Primary Liaison
We aim to liaise closely with feeder primary schools and with parents of students with special educational needs to make sure the transfer to secondary is as smooth as possible.
This is achieved when:
- Information is collated from each school on children who have special needs including the Gifted and Talented.
- A member of the faculty visits each primary school to meet with the Year 6 teacher/SENCO to draw up a profile of each student.
- Each student is interviewed and invited to show best work from their current work programmes. Students are also encouraged to express concerns/worries regarding the transfer at this stage.
- Meetings are arranged with parents as necessary.
- Students who may find the transfer difficult are invited for an extra visit to the school prior to the intake days. This has proved very successful.
- In certain circumstances social skills group work is arranged within primary schools with the Educational Psychologist and other support services.
- Teaching Assistants who work with designated primary students are encouraged to visit the school to gain an insight into the secondary curriculum and the daily timetable.
- Teaching Assistants are encouraged to attend the two intake days with their students.